Saturday, November 16, 2013

Fringe Tutorial

I wanted to use fringe on my flapper dress, but I didn't have any hanging around the house and I can't spend money on anything right now. What I do have is yards and yards of cotton string that I got at the thrift store. I also couldn't find a tutorial for handmade fringe, so I made my own.
figure out how long you want your fringe to be, then wrap your string, yarn, floss or whatever have you around a book that is roughly twice that long.
Cut the string at the top and bottom of the book
You'll end up with a pile of string
Double each length of string and loop it over a cord
Pull the loose ends through the loop and tighten
do this a million times
Squish them together
I don't know if they will be swingy enough, since it's cotton. Any pig in a poke I say. We'll see what happens when I have a long length of it.
Actually pretty great. On the dress, it almost looks like marabou feathers

1 comment: