Thursday, November 21, 2013

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #24: Re-do

For my Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #24: Re-Do I decided to do the Challenge #3: Under-it-all.

Here are my first pair of crotchless drawers. Ooh la la. I made them for Dickens Fair, and they'll be hidden under at least two petticoats and a skirt, so they aren't really very sexy. They were historically for convenience purposes, and will be so again while negotiating porta potties at the fair.
Don't you want me baby
Another sheet bites the dust in the name of fashion
They have a drawstring waistband and are made from 100% Cotton.They have little pintucks on the legs. I'm practicing my straight stitching and getting better, but it's a work in progress.
Good thing this will be UNDER wear

Doncha wish your girlfriend was hot like me.
The Challenge: #24 Re-Do or #3 Under it All
Fabric: cotton
Pattern: Laughing Moon #100, Ladies Victorian Underwear 1840-1900
Year: 1840
Notions: Cotton Thread, Cotton Cording
How historically accurate is it? I did everything by hand and it's all natural materials. If the pattern is historically accurate then it's at least 95%
Hours to complete:24 hours , the pintucks and the self bias binding added time to the mix
First worn: Just parading around my house making my daughter laugh
Total cost: Cording 25 cents, sheet $1 . So $1.25

2 comments:

  1. Really nice work, Tracey, the bloomers AND the blog. I want to peek in the drawers of... no, not yours! The library catalog drawers BEHIND you in the picture of you modeling your drawers, those are the drawers I want to peek in! What sort of sewing treasures are the shelf list catalog full of?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, as organized as I thought those would make me, I ended up with 72 junk drawers. They are fascinating to go through. Even for me, because I forget whats in there.

      Delete