Saturday, May 10, 2014

Working on my skillzzzz-Raining Lollypops

     Part of the reason I wanted to start this blog, was to document the new skills I am learning. I have always loved costuming, but my preferred method was to Frankenstein elements from the thrift store to make something else. This had a twofold benefit; saving money, and not involving patterns and sewing. As much as I loved doing this (and still do), it was always a little disappointing to me that I wasn't making things truly from scratch, I do have basic sewing skills, both hand and machine, but I haven't used them in a long time. Historical sewing has combined all the things I love; history, crafting, sewing, reading, computer research, and socializing with people with common interests.
     But I also want to increase my style in my day to day life. I love fashion, and I've always wanted to make my own clothes. I think I have an eye for it, so it's really a case of developing the skills. At some point, I would like to learn to drape and draft my own patterns but.......baby steps.
   I've been reading a great book, "Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing" It has invaluable advice for sewing vintage clothing, using both reproduction retro patterns and actual vintage patterns. It even includes patterns you can use, with directions on how to sew them in the book.


Buy book here
You can Purchase here
     Not only have I been reading her book, I have been reading her blog. I like to go into the archive of the blogs I like and read them from the beginning. Sometimes it can be intimidating to read about such talented sewers, but when you read them from the beginning, you can see how their skills have developed along the way. This is definitely inspiring.
http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/
Because I never like to start in the shallow end of the pool. One of my first sewing projects for my actual wardrobe is this bit of loveliness.
http://butterick.mccall.com/b5603-products-13745.php?page_id=147
Buy here
I haven't decided which view Im going to make. I really like the boatneck of the yellow, but because I am *ahem* gifted, if you know what I mean, "nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more", The black and white number may be more flattering. I'm going to make up a muslin mockup for each top to see what looks best. Right now, I'm thinking of using the bodice of the black and white, without the shoulder bows, but with the cute litte bow from the yellow dress added on. We'll see.
http://www.hartsfabric.com/
It's quilting cotton, which is not necessarily recommended for clothing, since is is not quite as drapey as cotton made for clothing, but since my dress is more tailored and I want to skirt to flare out, I think it will work fine.
I bought this lovely retro looking fabric at Hart's Fabric , which I'm lucky enough to have right up the street. They also have an online store and a great selection of cute fabrics.

Watch this space for more details on what I shall call the Raining Lollypop Dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment