Sunday, April 6, 2014

1660's Autumn Queen Fairytale update

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. I've been embroidering til the cow come home. Darn cow, always wandering off. I had originally wanted to make this for Historical Sew Fortnightly #14 Fairy Tale challenge. My inspiration was some beautiful fairy tale illustrations I found on Pinterest. Like this one:

Snow White Illustration by Jennie Harbour

I wanted to make it in the style of a 1660's gown. Something like this portrait.
Hortense Mancini Duchess of Mazarin (1646-1699) favourite niece of Cardinal Mazarin and a mistress of Charles II,
I found these curtains at the thrift store. They are cotton, and these dresses would normally be silk, but I really like the exaggerated pattern and the colors go well with my Autumn Queen idea
Original fabric
I wanted it to look more like an illustration, so I made it impossible to finish the challenge on time, by hand embroidering an outline on all the motifs.
For the outline, I just used DMC pearl thread in black and used a backstitch
It really makes the motifs pop.
I will also add some beading and gold cord
Here's all the pieces, not put together yet.
Here are all the outer pieces, not yet sewn together

3 comments:

  1. Good Lord! What an ambitious project! I bow to your greatness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really just want to work on it all the time, but other things keep interupting me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Hera! Wow, when you dodge a deadline you dodge it in style! Absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete