Thursday, February 20, 2014

Fairy Tale for the Historical Sew Fortnightly

The Fairy Tale challenge for the Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge isn't due until  April 1st, but I'm so excited for it. I am busy busy busy sewing some 18th century stays and will post pictures soon. In the meantime though, let's talk fairy tales. I am 50 years old and I have gray hair. I love my gray and I'm actually pretty happy with my age too. Sooo, where does that leave me in the fairy tale world? I can be an evil witch, an evil stepmother or an old crone that keeps the princess in the tower. Of course, nothing says I can't just make myself a Cinderella costume or some other youth driven fairy tale, but I don't want to. Why? Because I'm proud of my journey. So, I'm going to write my own. At least, I'm going to write my own outline of one and base my costume on my story. Working title: The Autumn Queen. I have a lot of orange, rust, and mustard yellow fabric also. I love the idea of a woman who struggles and reaches her autumn years and then finds out she is a Queen.
I would totally rock this Dolce and Gabbana crown
It has to be historical, but since it's a fairy tale, I can also go a little nutty with it. I love some of these fairy tale illustrations.

Illustration by Jennie Harbour


Pamela Colebourn

Felix Lorioux

I need to use them as inspiration, choose a time period and just go for it. Of course, you can't go wrong with a Worth gown.
So me
Now if anyone can think of a Fairy Tale, from any country that involves an older woman as the heroine and not the evil nemesis, I'd love to hear about it. Not a myth, but an actual fairy tale. Bring on the knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment